Well... we finally saw "Sicko" last night. Was I glad I went? I think you should know that when the movie ended the entire theater applauded, including myself and my husband and I'm a little embarrassed that I previously let the media influence my opinion of Michael Moore (I still don't know if I share his views on all issues, but health care is a particularly sore spot for me). All I can ask of you is to PLEASE go see this movie and decide for yourself. I wont go into a long-winded summary or review, but just to give you a taste, here's a concept: in one of the countries they talked about doctors incomes are based on the health of their patients. They receive bonuses for things such as lower blood pressure or getting their patients to stop smoking (probably even for delivering healthy babies vs. ones in a coma). What a concept!
Despite what side of the spectrum you are on this is an issue that affects us all (I'm even finding that it's those unforseen accidents or illnesses that change your life in an instant that end up being the reason why many bloggers blog) and the only solution is for both sides to come together. I don't know about you, but I really don't want to be handing out shopping carts and smiley-face stickers to your snot nosed grand kids when I'm 85, just as I'm sure you dont want to be cleaning up after mine at McDonald's some day - just so we can afford our diapers! Something to think about.
(The insurance office where I work is located in the Health Center building on campus. One of the physicians there has this movie poster on her door. Can you imagine if I put one on our door? I better not push my luck as I can not afford to risk losing my own insurance coverage!)
Anyway, in closing, I don't pretend to know anything about politics and never intended to get political on this blog. However, I still can't stress enough how this issue affects each an every one of us and it will take our votes to someday make a change. With the war and everything else that is going on, we are definitely at a turning point. All I know is that I'm going to turn off my stupid TV and do my own research on the candidates and issues for this next crucial election. Hopefully more people will decide what is important to them and do the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





10 comments:
Thanks for stopping by! I loved "Sicko". I wanted to blog about it, but didn't have the balls. I was afraid I'd alienate one of the two people who read my blog. LOL! I liked when the guy had to choose which finger to have reattached. Or the part about the Guantanamo prisoners getting better health care than Americans. Our theater clapped too!
I have not seen the movie, I do not know if I will or not. I do know there should be many changes on both sides with it comes to health insurance. It saddens my heart to think there are people out there that are suffering because they do not health insurance and can not afford medical care. I do not know the solution either, just alot of prayer. Thanks for sharing you opionions with us!
I've not seen the movie but I do understand your previous aversion to Michael Moore (whose from Flint just an hour from here). The health care system is a complicated mess, but I thank God it's still the best in the world.
Hey, in my current post called "Farmers' Market" there's a Youtube clip from Boulder.
Having heard from another friend who was very discouraged about our status quo after seeing this film... I should perhaps retract my cliché statement about our health care being the best in the world in spite of its woes. Maybe I should say instead that we lead the way in medical technology and have the tools and facilities to be the best in the world.
From your perspective is that much true? Does the film expose the "system" or tools? I really don't know because I haven't seen it yet, and always question Moore's motives and agenda. (i.e. which candidate is he trying to help with this film?) That's the skeptic in me.
I have tears in my eyes as I catch up on reading your blog because you seem so much happier now. The "10" things blog was great and I look forward to seeing "Sicko". I am so glad to see you are able to enjoy life a little more now.
Thanks for stopping by with all of the kind comments during the wedding weeks. Your prayers were felt. Blogging friends are special-especially YOU!
P.O.I.,
I just found your comments. I'd been avoiding my own blog lately (going through the whole writer's blog/not feeling like talking lately thing).
The film doesn't touch on it much, but I definitely think that we have the technology and tools to be the best in the world. Through my own experiences, I'm finding that what we're lacking is the motiviation/incentives to care about being the best without all the money and politics involved. For example, I've discovered a monitoring program for subsequent pregnancies that involves a little extra monitoring during the night (because when a woman is at rest, babies are more active - potentially getting themselves in trouble with umbilical cords, etc.) and it seems that a lot of health care providers turn up their noses at the idea, with no better reason than the fact that they don't want to be bothered after hours. It's pretty discouraging!
I also didn't get the feeling he was endorsing any particular candidate (the film shows unflattering statements made by both sides) so even if someone is "Anti-Moore", I think they could stomach this film.
Anyway, thanks for your comments!
Ha! I just noticed my typo in my previous comment "writer's blog" - that's a new one!
I work for the Michigan Department of Corrections which has decided a HMO is the best way to go for the prisoners. Michigan will be the first state to provided. Imagine that.
Been missing you latley... Hope that all is going ok!
This has nothing to do with the post. Just wanted to say hello. Hope you guys are doing okay and enjoying what's left of summer.
Post a Comment